YEDİTEPE ÜNİVERSİTESİ PROFICIENCY İNGİLİZCE HAZIRLIK ATLAMA PROGRAMI
YEDİTEPE ÜNİVERSİTESİ PROFICIENCY İNGİLİZCE HAZIRLIK ATLAMA PROGRAM İÇERİĞİ
1 – Yeditepe Üniversitesi Proficiency İngilizce Hazırlık Atlama için Özel Ders
2 – Yeditepe Üniversitesi Proficiency İngilizce Hazırlık Atlama için 4 Kişilik Gruplara Özel Ders
SAMPLE EXEMPTION TEST
(80 multiple-choice questions and a writing section)
USE OF ENGLISH (40 points)
Choose the correct word or phrase that best completes the sentence.
- Travellers __________ their reservations well in advance if they want to fly during the high season.
a. had better to get b. had to get better c. had better get d. had better got
- Not until a student has mastered algebra __________ the principles of geometry, trigonometry, and physics.
a. he can begin to understand b. can he begin to understand
c. he begins to understand d. begins to understand
Choose the sentence with the closest meaning as the given sentence.
- I can come any day but Tuesday.
a. Every day suits me except Tuesday. b. Tuesday is the day I can come.
c. I can come on Tuesday, too. d. I can come on Tuesday but no other day.
- George Burns is likely to turn up late for the meeting.
- George Burns happens to be late for the meeting.
- George Burns does not like to arrive late when he has a meeting.
- George Burns wants to come late to the meeting.
- George Burns will probably arrive late for the meeting.
Choose the correct phrase that completes the sentence.
- To generate income, magazine publishers must decide whether to increase the subscription price or _____________________________________________.
a. to sell advertising b. stop work c. go bankrupt d. to generate more
- Although one of his ships succeeded in sailing all the way back to Spain past the Cape of Good Hope, Magellan never completed the first circumnavigation of the world, and ___.
a. most of his crew didn’t, too b. neither most of his crew did
c. neither did most of his crew d. most of his crew didn’t also
VOCABULARY (20 points)
Choose the word that has the same meaning as the underlined word.
- His parents did not realize the severity of the situation and therefore refused to help him.
a. location b. victim c. purpose d. seriousness
- Both Agatha Christie and William Shakespeare were prolific writers.
a. productive b. famous c. esteemed d. celebrated
Choose the word or phrase that best completes the sentence.
- Did you __________ my passport while you were clearing out the desk, by any chance?
a. come round b. come across c. come to d. dome up against
- Be careful as you walk. I have just polished the floor and it is rather __________.
a. smooth b. sticky c. stiff d. slippery
READING (20 points)
Answer the questions according to the reading passages.
Hatred is a fundamental human emotion that has deep roots in society and
culture. Psychologists believe that group identity and cohesion depend to a large
extent on having a common enemy. It seems that the existence of ‘bad guys’ is an
important element in defining who we are within a larger realm.
5 The first signs appear early in life when a child faced with blame for some
mistake, immediately accuses another child or an inanimate object such as a teddy
bear. Later, in the school playground, children in rival groups vie for attention and
influence. These basic responses translate into more powerful emotions later in life.
One area where deep-rooted hatred is exhibited is in the ethnic clashes that
10 constantly occur around the globe. These conflicts are not only over territory but
also involve emotional issues of group identity and unity of purpose. For many,
there is no ‘us’ without a ‘them’ to hate. In a world where conflict between
superpowers is on the decline, it may be that humanity will have difficulty adapting
to a state of mutual respect and cooperation.
- Which of the following is the best title for the passage?
a. Roots of Society b. Group Unity
c. A Basic Emotion d. Social and Cultural Problems
- According to the passage, what is believed to be an important aspect of defining group identity?
a. facing a common enemy b. being reluctant to hate
c. accepting blame for past actions d. ignoring a larger realm
- The author suggests that when children make mistakes, they ___________________.
- join rival gangs in school playgrounds.
- rarely accept responsibility for their actions
- need emotional support from inanimate objects like teddy bears
- are not well understood by psychologists
- The word ‘vie’ in line 7 is closest in meaning to _____________________________.
a. choose b. look c. try d. compete
WRITING (20 points)
Choose ONE of the following topics and write an essay. Your essay should be around 300 words in length.
(Three essay topics of general interest are given for the students to choose from.)